Hughesville Baptist Church
37 North Third Street
Hughesville PA 17737
1882-1889 Brother R. Kocher
1889-(?) Rev. Joseph Crawford, pastor
1894 Rev John A. Aldred, pastor
1896 No pastor
1897 No pastor
1898 J.B. Adams, pastor
1901 H.H. Leamy and L.S. Squires, pastors
1905 George Ballentine, pastor
1906 J.B. Adams, pastor (again)
1907 No pastor (Brother W.M. Corll)
1911 B. Morroe Posten, pastor
1912 No pastor
1913 H.G.W. Smith, a graduate of Bucknell
1914 Thomas Griffith, pastor
1915 Thomas Phillips, pastor
1919 Brother E.R. Heywood, pastor
1923 Rev. Fortran, pastor
1924 No pastor
1926 Edward W. Cooper, pastor
1928-1946 Rev. Earl Guyer, pastor at Moreland also for a period. (Rev. Guyer died 1946)
1946 Rev. Taylor, pastor
1946-1951 Charles Jared, pastor
1951-1986 Robert Berger, pastor.
He was a student in Philadelphia and was ordained and married while serving the Hughesville Baptist Church. His wife Eileen; and children: Vicki Berger Mailleue, William and James.
1986 Mina Corey, pastor
1987-1991 Michael Deal, pastor.
His wife: Christine; and children: Jonathan, Joshua, Rebecca and Rachel.
1992-2003 David K. Fishel, pastor.
He was ordain here November 14, 1993.
His wife: Carol Ralston Fishel; and children: Laura Elizabeth Fishel-Webb, Janelle Kathryn, Kenneth Samuel and Dean Adam.
2004-2006 Bernard E. Elliott III
2006 Interim pastors
2006-2007 Jim Waugh
2007 -2018 Thomas M. Brokaw, pastor.
His wife: Dorothea; and children: Joshua, Emily, and Jonathan
2018 Rev. Dr. Don Edwards - Interim pastor
HUGHESVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH - LATE 1800's
The first recorded Baptist effort in Hughesville was in 1882 when Brother R. Kocher, Baptist Pastor in the neighboring communities of Muncy and Picture Rocks was requested to "look after the interests of our Baptist people living in the village of Hughesville." In 1884 the Northumberland Baptist Association Minutes recorded that they "Contemplate organizing a mission interest in Hughesville." In 1886 the Minutes state that there is a "Need for money to do the work in places like Hughesville." In 1889, The Rev. Joseph Crawford was listed in the Minutes as being the pastor at Hughesville and Rock Run Baptist Churches. The small group of Baptists were meeting from time to time in the village grade school located on the corner of Main and Walnut Street. They were forced to give up this space when it was needed for educational purposes. They then moved into a hall where they were able to have weekly services. On September 11, 1890 the Hughesville Baptist Church was organized with the Rev. Joseph W. Crawford as pastor and a membership of nine. On September 25th at the meeting of the Northumberland Baptist Association at First Baptist Church in Sunbury, the Hughesville Baptist Church was officially recognized and welcomed into the fellowship. The next need was a building for worship and Christian Education. On the corner lot of Third and Water Street there had once been the furniture factory "Laird and Company." This lot was acquired and a building was erected on the site. The Association Minutes for 1892 state: "The year has been one of hard work. Their House of Worship has been completed at a cost of $3500, leaving a debt of about $700 above what is yet unpaid in subscriptions. Brother Crawford has accepted a call from Moreland and Lairdsville Churches in connection with his charge at Hughesville, giving them a service every Sabbath evening. Feel very grateful to the Second Baptist Church of Philadelphia for a donation of their old library to them." Statistics for these years indicate one baptism, one person joining by letter, four joining by "Experience" and a decrease of one member by exclusion for a total membership of fifteen.In spite of these difficulties the church continued a slow growth. Annual grants from the Pennsylvania State Mission organization helped the group to continue. No pastor remained to provide leadership for more than three years. A Sunday School was established in 1892.
HUGHESVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH - 1900's After 1892
Sister churches in Muncy and Picture Rocks provided leadership, money and a beautiful set of pulpit furniture. The walls of the church were papered with beautiful wall paper. Electric lights, a furnace, carpet and running water were gradually installed. A Cradle Roll was founded in 1909. The first parsonage was purchased in 1914. By this year the church membership had increased to sixty-eight. Average attendance in Sunday School increased from twenty to fifty-four.From 1915 to 1940 there was continued growth in membership and a more stable pastoral leadership. Mid-week prayer services were begun and in 1916 the first Missionary Society was formed. 1925 saw the erection of a new parsonage, free of debt on the church property. The Rev. Early Guyer was called to serve as pastor in 1928 and served until his death in 1946. Things were hard during the depression years of the 1930's but regular services continued.The period 1940-1950 was a time of reorganization. By 1950 the church membership was revised to 87 and the average attendance in Sunday School was 35.In December of 1951 the Rev. Robert Berger was called as pastor. Prayer meetings were regularly maintained. A new heating plant was installed. Average attendance increased to 86 and church membership to 119. This growth caused the church to begin planning for additional space. On November 18, 1956 "A secret ballot was taken in the Sunday School on the question: Shall the Hughesville Baptist Church build a Sunday School building on the available property?" The result was 41 yes's and 2 no's. The bid for the addition was $22,189.50 and was accepted. The first addition was completed in 1959. By the 1970's there was a need for more space and the church voted again to increase the size of our building. That addition was completed and dedicated on October 14, 1984. The Building Committee for this addition were Mr. W.W. Taggart, Chairman; Howard Fraley, Secretary; Elwood George, Paul Hager and Ralph Knopp.
HUGHESVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH - TODAY
Today, we can say with Dr. Martin Luther King: "I have a dream." We have a dream! We have very limited parking and no room for future growth. With that in mind our Trustees began to look at the possibility of a new location with plenty of room for expansion and growth. Praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Trustees discovered 8.05 acres of land at the intersection of Route 118 and Green Valley Road. The cost of the land was $100,000.00. At a special meeting, the church approved the purchase. We are excited and moving forward toward our goal.In 1984 the Church Clerk in writing the annual letter to the Northumberland Baptist Association said, "At times (we) are almost discouraged, but having put our hands to the plow, dare not look back." The Baptists of Hughesville are still moving forward to accomplish great things for Christ and His Kingdom in the community.
Telling and being the good news of Jesus